Treatment for Cracked or Broken Teeth in Brooklyn
What is a cracked tooth?
At Ralph Avenue Dental Care, we provide tooth repair for teeth that are chipped, fractured, or cracked. A cracked tooth is essentially a broken tooth. If you have a cracked tooth, you may experience sensitivity and pain when chewing or when consuming hot or cold substances. Cracks or breaks in the tooth can impact just the surface layers of a tooth, or they can impact the whole tooth down to its root. Not all teeth sustain the same type of crack. Different types of cracked teeth may include:
- Cracked teeth — crack extends from the tip/biting surface and reaches near the root of the tooth. In some cases, the crack extends past the gumline and into the root.
- Craze lines — impact on the enamel/surface area of the tooth. This type of crack is usually painless and treatment is usually not needed.
- Cracked cusp — affects the cusps of the tooth, which are located on the biting end of the tooth. Cracked cusps usually cause sudden pain during chewing.
- Split tooth — occurs when a cracked tooth is left untreated, causing a vertical fracture that extends from the root of the tooth and nears the biting surface area of the tooth.
What causes teeth to crack?
Causes of cracked teeth may include:
- Excessive tooth grinding, which may place added stress on the teeth
- Large-sized fillings, which can cause the tooth to become weak
- Biting down on hard foods or other strong materials
- Sustaining direct trauma to facial areas surrounding the teeth
- Gum disease where there is bone loss
- Extreme temperature changes inside the mouth
What are the symptoms of a cracked tooth?
Symptoms of cracked teeth may vary from patient to patient. In some cases, symptoms may even go unnoticed. Signs that your tooth may be cracked may include:
- Pain when chewing
- Sensitivity to extreme temperatures
- Sensitivity to sugary food
- Swelling of the gums
How do I know if my tooth is cracked?
If your teeth look cracked, or if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms of cracked teeth, a visit with an experienced dental expert can help provide an appropriate diagnosis, along with treatment options. Because cracks of the teeth are not always detected by X-rays, your dentist will need to perform a thorough oral exam, sometimes using a magnifying device and bright light, in order to identify which tooth may be cracked or broken. To trace the path of the crack, your dentist may apply a dye to the tooth. Once your dentist identifies where the crack is located, as well as the type of crack, treatment options will be recommended.
Can a cracked tooth lead to complications if left untreated?
After receiving diagnosis of a cracked tooth, it is important to seek treatment. Left untreated, a cracked tooth may lead to future dental complications, including:
- Nerve death
- Abscess development
- Split tooth
- Root canal
- Tooth extraction
How are cracked teeth treated?
Depending on the type of crack and its severity, options for tooth repair will vary. Treatment options may include:
At Ralph Avenue Dental Care, our trusted dental experts can help determine which treatment option best meets your dental needs.
If you have a cracked tooth, our dental experts at Ralph Avenue Dental Care are here to provide you with trusted and affordable dental care. Here at our health-centered dentistry, we place a strong emphasis on getting to know each patient, as well as utilizing the most advanced technology and procedures in order to provide our patients with high-quality dental care. To learn more about our dental services, call 718.531.0300 or fill out the form on this page to schedule an appointment.